Re: Run a system command in home configuration file

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Run a system command in home configuration file
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 11:33:17 +0100

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> skribis:

> I want to run a system command and use the output inside my ssh config
> file. Below is the service configuration I'm talking about and my current
> implementation which does not work, probably because the command is run
> from the daemon, but I need it to run from the current user. Has anyone an
> idea how to achieve this?
>
> (simple-service 'ssh-config
>  home-files-service-type
>  (list `("ssh/config"
>  ,(mixed-text-file "config" "
> Host *
>   IdentityAgent " #~(system* #$(file-append gnupg "/bin/gpgconf")
> "--list-dirs" "agent-ssh-socket") "
> "))))

Instead of #~(system* …) above, you could do something like:

  (let* ((pipe (open-input-pipe "gpgconf" …))
         (data (get-string-all pipe)))
    (close-pipe pipe)
    data)

The effect will be that ‘gpgconf’ will run when you invoke ‘guix system
reconfigure’, as the user who invokes it.  (You need the (ice-9 popen)
and (rnrs io bytevectors) modules.)

I can’t necessarily recommend it because it’s kinda wild, but it should
do the trick.

HTH,
Ludo’.