Re: glibc-utf8-locales

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: glibc-utf8-locales
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 16:02:25 +0100

tis 2022-03-08 klockan 10:28 +0000 skrev Tobias Geerinckx-Rice:
> Hullo Simon,
>
> Simon Josefsson via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
> > First, I wonder if this is optimal.  There must be many machines
> > (servers and embedded) where having all locales installed on is
> > wasteful, but where it is useful to have the C.UTF-8 and/or
> > en_US.UTF-8
> > installed, to get minimal working UTF-8 support.  Making this hard
> > achieve for users seems unhelpful to me.  I understand the
> > motivation
> > for the patch
>
> I don't think you do, if that's what you thought it was ;-)

Sorry I was unclear -- I reckon the motivation for the patch was that
the semantics with the old glibc-utf8-locales package was confusing
(not containing all UTF-8 locales).  Still, I think the old package did
provide some useful aspect which is now lost, and has to be worked
around with more complex logic.  Offering a newer more simple solution
is what I'm asking for.  Meanwhile I'm happy to use the more complex
solution that you helped me with (below).

> >  (append (map specification->package
> >                         '("glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"
>
> You have a (probably left-over) specification->package call but no
> "glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"  package in Guix for it to find.
> It does not search the environment.
>
> Remove the spec and refer to your custom variable directly, e.g.:
>
>   (packages (append (list glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales ...)
> ...))

Thanks, I managed to get it to work now:

https://gitlab.com/jas/sjd-cosmos/-/blob/master/hamster.josefsson.org/overlay/etc/config.scm

https://gitlab.com/jas/sjd-cosmos/-/commit/cecbdf4ad834c3d06e1344d843582ac1defa935b

However, I'm not sure it is fully working, 'locale -a' gives me more
than just the locales I specified?!  Yes I did successful 'system
reconfigure' and reboot into new system.

/Simon

root@hamster ~# /gnu/store/2fk1gz2s7ppdicynscra9b19byrrr866-glibc-
2.33/bin/locale -a
ca_ES.utf8