Re: Missing LaTeX font (R related)

From: TK
Subject: Re: Missing LaTeX font (R related)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 06:55:49 +0000

> TK tkprom@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > After some more investigation, I think I narrowed down the
> >
> > issue. Package texlive-inconsolata indeed installs the `t1-zi4r-0' font.
> > However, the` map' for that font exists only under dvips, not in
> >
> > the pdftex subdir.
>
> We’re generating these map files based on the contents of the profile.
>
> We’re using a profile hook for this.
>
> > I am not a TeX magus, but it is indicative that the file on the
> >
> > official TeXLive repo
> >
> > https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
> >
> > does contain `zi4' entries.
>
> We don’t use that file because it contains everything; instead we
>
> generate it in a profile hook so that it only contains entries that
>
> correspond to what has actually been installed.
>
> > Shouldn't the installation of texlive-inconsolata put the
> >
> > corresponding entries into `pdftex.map'?
>
> Yes, it should.
>
> > Any hints on where to go from here?
>
> When I do
>
> guix shell -C texlive-base texlive-inconsolata
>
> I see that
>
> $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
>
> contains entries for the inconsolata fonts.
>
> (The profile hook depends on texlive-base.)
>
> --
>
> Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for narrowing it down.

It turns out that replacing `texlive-tiny' with `texlive-base' in the manifest
did the trick. So, the message for future readers is, if you want your own
subset of TexLive, start with `texlive-base' in your manifest, then add
whichever other packages, or fonts you need.

Cheers,