Re: Missing LaTeX font (R related)

From: TK
Subject: Re: Missing LaTeX font (R related)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 07:08:01 +0000

> > TK tkprom@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > > After some more investigation, I think I narrowed down the
> > >
> > > issue. Package texlive-inconsolata indeed installs the `t1-zi4r-0' font.
> > > However, the` map' for that font exists only under dvips, not in
> > >
> > > the pdftex subdir.
> >
> > We’re generating these map files based on the contents of the profile.
> >
> > We’re using a profile hook for this.
> >
> > > I am not a TeX magus, but it is indicative that the file on the
> > >
> > > official TeXLive repo
> > >
> > > https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
> > >
> > > does contain `zi4' entries.
> >
> > We don’t use that file because it contains everything; instead we
> >
> > generate it in a profile hook so that it only contains entries that
> >
> > correspond to what has actually been installed.
> >
> > > Shouldn't the installation of texlive-inconsolata put the
> > >
> > > corresponding entries into `pdftex.map'?
> >
> > Yes, it should.
> >
> > > Any hints on where to go from here?
> >
> > When I do
> >
> > guix shell -C texlive-base texlive-inconsolata
> >
> > I see that
> >
> > $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
> >
> > contains entries for the inconsolata fonts.
> >
> > (The profile hook depends on texlive-base.)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ricardo
>
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> Thanks for narrowing it down.
>
> It turns out that replacing `texlive-tiny' with` texlive-base' in the
> manifest did the trick. So, the message for future readers is, if you want
> your own subset of TexLive, start with `texlive-base' in your manifest, then
> add whichever other packages, or fonts you need.
>
> Cheers,

For the reference, the smallest TexLive manifest I came up with that passed `R
CMD check` for the R package I am developing has been:

```
(use-modules (guix packages)
             (gnu packages tex))

(define specs '("texlive-base"
                "texlive-pdftex"
                "texlive-url"
                "texlive-inconsolata"
                "texlive-latex-xkeyval"
                "texlive-fonts-ec"
                "texlive-times"
                "texlive-helvetic"
                "texlive-amsfonts"))

(specifications->manifest `(,@specs))
```

I probably don't need texlive-pdftex there, but can't check now.