Re: packaging problem

From: Daniel Meißner
Subject: Re: packaging problem
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:51:33 +0200

yann <yann@moeris.xyz> writes:

> Then I tried to run it by putting myself in the directory and running:
>
> guix shell -f gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icon-ng.scm

Looks like your file gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icon-ng.scm does not
return a package object.  You have to add
‘gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icon-ng’ at the end of the file because
the -f switch expects the file to evaluate to a package object.

Some more remarks: IIUC, since you define the module (my-module) in the
file, you can also name my my-module.scm.  Then you could do

guix shell -L /path/to/dir gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icon-ng

without the ‘-f’ switch where /path/to/dir is the path to the directory
where my-module.scm lives.  Then you don’t need to put
gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icon-ng at the end of the file.

You should consider using the newer gexp-style for the arguments field
and drop the #t at the end of the phases (no longer necessary), like so:

(arguments (list #:tests? #f
                 #:make-flags
                 #~(list (string-append "EXTENSIONS_DIR="
                                        #$output
                                        "/share/gnome-shell/extensions"))
                 #:phases
                 #~(modify-phases %standard-phases
                     (delete 'configure)      ; no configure script
                     (replace 'install
                       (lambda _
                         (let ((pre "/share/gnome-shell/extensions/")
                               (dir "ding@rastersoft.com"))
                           (copy-recursively dir (string-append #$output pre

Best

--
Daniel