CJK font issues on GDM screen

From: Taiju HIGASHI
Subject: CJK font issues on GDM screen
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:27:41 +0900

I am not currently having trouble, but I do have one question.

I have had trouble displaying CJK fonts on the GDM screen.

I have followed the steps below to install Guix initially, which
allows me to temporarily display CJK fonts on the GDM screen.

1. Specify `ja_JP.utf8` as locale on the graphical installation screen.
2. Set CJK fonts to be installed globally.
3. Execute the installation.

However, if I run `guix system reconfigure` after this, I cannot see
the CJK fonts on the GDM screen. (The letters will be tofu.)

I asked on #guix on IRC and was given a solution, so I am not
troubled, but the following questions remain.

https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2022-04-09.log#174359

  1. Why do I see CJK fonts on the GDM screen after setting the locale
     and installing CJK fonts during the initial installation?
  2. Why can't I see CJK fonts on the GDM screen after running `guix
     system reconfigure`?

Is there a special process to generate a font cache during initial
installation?
Also, is that process absent when the system is reconfigured?

I feel that it would be desirable for the system to behave the same
when reconfigured as when initially installed.

Thank you.