Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)

From: Hubert Lombard
Subject: Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:52:41 +0200

Hi Luis !

>I think they could work for many things. I particularly liked these:
>
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image5.php#grand-format
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image8.php#grand-format
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image12.php#grand-format
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image13.php#grand-format

Thanks a lot for your answer :) These are indeed screens that could be
useful...
I'll put them under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
International License.
I saw a video of a Guix user talking about his video game, it motivated
me to
to talk about it here... If I find out who it is, I'll contact him.

>I don't paint much, but looking at your landscapes, I picture a warm
>savanna and a herd of wildebeest running in the distance. I think it
>would make a nice background.

>Traditional and digital media can be mixed :)

Yes, that's what I think too! Plus, I can take different graphic parts
and isolate them (for creative reuses).

>Personally, what I do is draw ideas (pen/pencil on paper) whenever
>Guile or Mistletoe's activity makes me imagine something. I keep them
>handy. When the time is right (a Guix event, a request from the Guix
>folks, etc.), I go through the sketches, draw more if necessary, scan
>the ones I think might work, and develop them further in Inkscape (and
>MyPaint and GIMP). When one of the pieces meets my own quality
>criteria, I send a proposal.

Which is a great way to go... I think that with a little organization I
could go a little in the same direction... He he! Guix System is also a
good choice for artists ;)

>One part where I think graphics help a lot is when posting on the
>Fediverse, for example. There's a lot of activity there and text-only
>posts can look like water over time. Posts with graphics, screenshots,
>etc. stand out. I sometimes offer graphics to Guix users and
>contributors who post their own initiatives (packaging meetings,
>documentation meetings). And I also post independently.

I didn't know, I will take a closer look, I still have some discoveries
to make ;)...

>I hope this helps,

Your welcoming response reinforces my aspirations to contribute!

While I'm waiting to see what it might look like for a video game, I've
been focusing on the first attempts at a possible 'guix-hurd' logo! (In
the link below)

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/guix/html/A-guix-hurd-logo.html

See you soon :) o/

Hubert

--
Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website>
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :) Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:23:23 +0000

On Thursday, April 21st, 2022 at 5:34 PM, Hubert Lombard
<contact@hubert-lombard.website> wrote:

> Congratulations to Luis Felipe for the "10 Years ..." logo
> https://guix.gnu.org/static/blog/img/10-years-of-guix_colorful-10.gif

Thanks :)

> I paint pictures with oil and acrylic paint. Once photographed, the
> image processing is done with Gimp. If I put some of them under a free
> license, it might be a good idea to decorate some native Guix video
> games...

I think they could work for many things. I particularly liked these:

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image5.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image8.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image12.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image13.php#grand-format

> Also, I love the Hurd (without knowing much about it). I was amazed to
> successfully install K9 in 2004, on real hardware. Without having
> really used it for a long time, I was able to live some moments of pure
> enchantment. A few years later, I also had the chance to exchange a few
> words with Samuel Thibault at the RMLL in Bordeaux.
>

> That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
> works) to guix-hurd!

I don't paint much but looking at your landscapes I could picture a warm
savanna and a herd of wildebeest running in the distance. I think that could
make for a nice background.

> What do you think? Guix is a great adventure to contribute to at any
> level, and I would be happy to participate again.

I don't see why not. Traditional and digital media can be mixed :)

Personally, what I do is sketch ideas (pencil/pen on paper) whenever Guile or
Guix activity makes me imagine something. I keep them around. When the time
comes (a Guix event, a request from Guix people, etc.), I go through the
sketches, sketch more if necessary, scan the ones I think that could work and
develop them further in Inkscape (and MyPaint and GIMP). When one of the pieces
passes my own quality standards, I send a proposal.

One part where I think graphics help a lot is when posting on the Fediverse,
for example. There's a lot of activity over there and text-only posts may just
look like water in the stream. Posts with graphics, screenshots, etc., stand
out. I sometimes propose graphics to Guix users and contributors posting about
their own initiatives there (packaging meetups, documentation meetups). And I
post independently too.

Hope that helps,