Re: Guix as remote dev machine

From: david larsson
Subject: Re: Guix as remote dev machine
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:07:27 +0200

On 2022-03-21 15:09, t@fullmeta.me wrote:
Hi Guix.

I'm trying to come up with a reasonable way to use my Guix machine
sitting in the attic as my remote development server. This presents
several challenges. Locally I would typically follow these steps:
1. Create a project dir with guix.scm describing (possibly empty) package
2. `guix shell` or start a container, with entire system if I need to
e.g. run a db
3. start emacs from that shell or container forwarding to my main DISPLAY

When attempting to do something similar remotely, you very quickly run
into issues. X forwarding to a Linux machine kinda works, but sadly on
OSX, which I have to use as a client, XQuartz X server implementation
can't deal with hi DPI and the end result is miserable. Then there're
potential rendering issues when your remote server doesn't even have a
graphics card. We're sadly left with ssh + terminal Emacs. However,
just ssh and then follow the above steps won't be enough. When your
ssh session goes down, it'll take everything with it.

I hear you say `tmux`. I thought so too, but fresh `guix package -i
tmux` gives me `Incorrect locale LC_all, LC_CTYPE or LANG` when I try
to run it. Weird, seeing how this is attempted on Guix SD. No matter.
Lets just go with `screen`, which seems to work. Then follow the above
steps.

This sort of works and how I would imagine most people attempting this
would end up with. It leaves me itchy though. I mean, do I even need
that `screen` there when `emacs --daemon=name` exist? Latter will
happily detach itself from your tty and persist across ssh sessions.
Problem of course is the 2nd step above, which assumes we spawn a
shell (possibly run a container, maybe even the entire system). I
wonder if there's a way to avoid the intermediate `screen` or `tmux`
completely. Way I understand it, `guix shell`, `guix shell -c` and
`guix system --container` are Unix processes. Could they be detached
or put under some group or smth? I mean, screen works ok, but I
wonder.

Thanks

Hello Mr t!

I suggest checking out: guix search xpra

Then the Arch linux wiki has pretty good usage tutorial that could most likely work for forwarding of individual application windows. Im uncertain how it works for full desktop forwarding on Guix.

Best regards and good luck,
David