Re: set environment variables with guix shell [-m manifest.scm]

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: set environment variables with guix shell [-m manifest.scm]
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 11:05:30 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 04 May 2022 at 18:53, Kenny Ballou <kb@devnulllabs.io> wrote:

> However, one necessary feature of `guix shell` I'm not seeing: ability
> to set arbitrary environment variables when `guix shell` loads.

Yes, it misses an equivalent to ’nix-shell’ «shellHook» [1], as also
reported by [2] Well, maybe you could achieve something via ’--file’
instead of ’--manifest’, I do not know.

Since you use Direnv [3], maybe you can set the environment variables
there instead of in the manifest file.

1: <https://nixos.org/manual/nix/stable/command-ref/nix-shell.html>
2:
<https://yhetil.org/guix/E92751B5-F3ED-47A0-B7D2-40F9D3F5C5B9@univ-grenoble-alpes.fr>