Re: Questions regarding substitutes with debug output

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Questions regarding substitutes with debug output
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 12:33:59 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 at 22:08, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

>>> (with-channels %my-channels
>>>   (package
>>>     (name "yay")
>>>     …
>>>     (inputs
>>>       (list foo bar baz)) ;these are all looked up in %my-channels

[...]

> We already have all the tools for WITH-CHANNELS — that’s (guix
> inferior).  We just don’t have a convenient syntax to do this without a
> lot of boilerplate.

Indeed.  Where %my-channels would refer to a channels.scm file, right?

However, as Olivier mentioned it, Guix commonly uses package name and
version to refer to concrete defined packages; where the channel origin
is not in the picture.

Therefore, we generally add a string to the package name or version if a
channel creates a variant for this very same package name and version.
Otherwise it becomes hard to find back such variant.

This hypothetical ’with-channel’ would ease to create new variants.

What seems still missing is a way to select these variants from the
channel.

I am proposing to somehow add a field to ’properties’.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon