Re: Guix home, guix system, channels, some noob questions

From: Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
Subject: Re: Guix home, guix system, channels, some noob questions
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:32:15 +0200

Thanks,

I made some test on my own to understand :

1 - Like you say, installing things with *guix install* is for current user (for example *firefox* and *sshpass*)

2 - Adding a package that don't exist to * myhome.scm* and reconfigure it with *guix home reconfigure* file will download a package (ex "ncdu"), but this package doesn't appear into "guix package --list-installed"

3 - Adding a package that already exist for user (ex : firefox already installed with guix install) to *myhome.scm* doesn't reinstall package, that's normal.

I don't understand the step 2, why *guix home* installed package (*ncdu* here) are not listed with *guix install --list-installed*, is there a difference ?

- using *which ncdu*, bin is located into .guix-home/profile/bin/ncdu

- using *which firefox*, bin is located into .guix-home/profile/bin/firefox

- using *which sshpass*, bin is located into .guix-home/profile/bin/sshpass

Ok for secrets, but i don't understand the "out-of-band" reference in your previous mail.

Thanks !

Best regards