Re: How can I install gnu guix to a usb flashdrive to run as a live syst

From: 白い熊
Subject: Re: How can I install gnu guix to a usb flashdrive to run as a live system?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:27:59 +0000 (UTC)

2022/05/11 13:07:33 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>:

  # guix system init system.scm /my/usb/drive

?

One clear way is that AFAIR there's no documented way (yet) to pass '--removable' to grub-install, so you'll have to manually rename  the grub.efi to bootx64.efi.  Annoying but doable.

I think the question here is more along the lines or him do you specify the bootloader in system config for this USB?

Do you put:

(bootloader (bootloader-configuration
           (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
           (targets (list "/boot/efi"))

... and manually copy the PC's /boot/efi to the USB or create a first partition on the USB for this?

This isn't exactly portable then – to make it boot another PC, is it? But if you don't have the efi directory, then it complains.

Or do you use the legacy GRUB bootloader configuration? This is what I did on a much older version of Guix a long time ago, and it worked – I really had a bootable Guix System USB that I could boot off in many PCs. But I forgot the exact specification of the system.scm and can't get it to work now…

--
Best regards / 宜しく御願い致します / S pozdravem / C уважением / Z poważaniem / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

白い熊