Japanese / CJK characters don't display properly on gdm login

From: 白い熊
Subject: Japanese / CJK characters don't display properly on gdm login
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 19:00:50 +0200

Hello all.

I set my system to Japanese - I think properly. I've set (locale "ja_JP.utf8") in system.scm and installed some CJK fonts. Then ran 'fc-cache -f'.

Now all is set fine - even GRUB boot menu is in Japanese, all apps render Japanese text properly - however the gdm login screen is set to Japanese too, apparently it displays a Japanese welcome message - however all the characters are just rendered as boxes - meaning gdm is using some font that doesn't have the Japanese glyphs.

Anyone have an idea how I could fix this?

--
Best regards / 宜しく御願い致します / S pozdravem / C уважением / Z poważaniem / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

白い熊
ShiroiKuma