Re: Why Emacs is echoing message for each installed Emacs package while

From: raingloom
Subject: Re: Why Emacs is echoing message for each installed Emacs package while startup
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 01:58:31 +0200

On Mon, 16 May 2022 00:23:39 +0600
Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> wrote:

> For each Emacs package I have installed, Emacs echoes "Loading
> /gnu/store/...-emacs-.../...-autoloads.el" while startup.  This is
> very annoying.  The reason is probably the function:
>
> (defun guix-emacs-autoload-packages ()
>   "Autoload Emacs packages found in EMACSLOADPATH.
>
> 'Autoload' means to load the 'autoloads' files matching
> `guix-emacs-autoloads-regexp'."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((autoloads (mapcan #'guix-emacs-find-autoloads
>                            (guix-emacs--non-core-load-path))))
>     (mapc (lambda (f)
>             (load f 'noerror))  ;; This should be (load f 'noerror
> 'nomessage) autoloads)))
>
> And also I wonder why Guix loads each autoloads file.  Can't it merge
> (concat) all autoloads into one file while making the profile and then
> load it afterwards?  This would probably save a little time.
> package.el can do this (see "package-quickstart-file" variable), so
> Guix should be able to do this too.

Gonna speculate here a bit since I'm not sure if this pattern exists in
Elisp land, but I've certainly seen (and written) programs that
required to be run from a specific place, usually from next to other
submodules in the same package. If you were to concatenate (or even
just move) such a file, it would break, possibly silently.
You can't even rename a program and be sure that it will have the same
behaviour, see busybox for an example of this. It's a single binary
that checks what name it's run under and then acts like that executable.