Passing options to modules via modprobe.d

From: Simon Streit
Subject: Passing options to modules via modprobe.d
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:51:44 +0200

Hello!,

I've been trying to pass options to certain modules at boot like this:
(simple-service 'thinkpad-acpi etc-service-type
                (list `("modprobe.d/thinkpad.conf"
                        ,(plain-file "thinkpad.conf"
                                     "options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1\n"))))

This seems all okay and the store item is properly linked to
/etc/modprobe.d.  The only problem though is that this parameter is not
passed to the module.  Thus fan_control is not enabled.   Manually
passing this parameter via modprobe in the command line is fine.

Consing "thinkpad_acpi.fan_control=1" to kernel-arguments works too.

I'm not so sure now wether I've done something wrong.  There is no error
when booting, and modprobe seems to be silently ignoring the files
located in /etc/modprobe.d.

Any ideas?  How do you pass your parameters to modprobe?

Kind regards
Simon