Re: Guix home, guix system, channels, some noob questions

From: Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
Subject: Re: Guix home, guix system, channels, some noob questions
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:20:11 +0200

Le 17/05/2022 à 10:57, Daniel Meißner a écrit :
Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq writes:

Thanks Daniel,

So if i understand well, in the common use case, if you install guix
home and use it in parallel with guix install, these profile are
"cumulative",
software installed are available no matter how I set them up (guix
install or using guix home declarative file + reconfigure) ?
Yes, these two profiles are normally both loaded in the sense that the
shell scripts ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile and
~/.guix-home/setup-environment are sourced.
Ok !

It is a bit confusing at first for new user, what's the best workflow,
using the guix home declarative file and "reconfigure" or directly
guix install ?
It depends on what you want to achieve.  You could use also both at the
same time.  I like to use only Guix home to manage the packages that I
need on a regular basis.  However, this is mainly because I also have
some dotfiles in my home-environment.  If you just want to declaratively
manage the packages you use, you could also do it with manifests¹.
Additionally, sometimes, when I need a package, that I presumably only
use once, I use ‘guix shell’² for it.

Ok, i suppose manifest are similar to config.scm used for reconfiguring system for exemple.

If you have some example of guix home profile that use dotfile manager i'm interested :) I'm planned to use chezmoi with pass (https://www.chezmoi.io/) in go that use git to version file.

Thanks !

Best

¹ https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Writing-Manifests.html