Re: Why does setting a language in Grub take 1.5 minutes?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Why does setting a language in Grub take 1.5 minutes?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 06:45:39 -0500

Olivier Dion <olivier.dion@polymtl.ca> writes:

> On Sun, 15 May 2022, Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> wrote:
>> At some point, after a long time with no problems, my system began
>> taking an unreasonably long time to boot. I only reboot my system
>> ~1/week for updates, so I never took the time to debug the problem,
>> and therefore, I couldn't really connect the issue with any changes
>> that either I or Guix had made.
>
> I've come across this
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2022-05/msg00005.html
> today. If it is the problem, perhaps GCing your old kernels would make
> the boot faster.

Thank you for responding.

I think this only impacts running `grub-mkconfig` and not booting, doesn't it?
Aside from that, the echo statements I gave suggest that the issue is with
setting the language.

Still, I removed some old generations of my system. Things went a little
faster, but I'm guessing that's probably a side-effect of shrinking my
/gnu/store path.

Thank you for the suggestion.
--
Katherine