Re: Why Emacs is echoing message for each installed Emacs package while

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Why Emacs is echoing message for each installed Emacs package while startup
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 23:58:41 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 17 May 2022 at 14:00, Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> wrote:

> I used to have more than hundred Emacs packages managed by Guix.  But
> the startup time was more than 5 seconds.  Then to switched package.el,
> and the startup time decreased to less than 1.5 seconds.  I'm not sure
> why this happened, but I think the cause is maybe too many "redisplay"s
> due to many loading messages during startup.

Well, I do not know.  Hum, I do not have more than hundred,

$ guix package -p ~/.config/guix/profiles/emacs/emacs -I | grep emacs | wc -l
43

but it does not takes so long:

$ time emacs -f kill-emacs

real    0m1.682s
user    0m1.279s
sys     0m0.241s

which looks similar to,

        M-x emacs-init-time
        1.727791789 seconds

therefore, I am surprised by your timings.  For instance,

$ guix shell emacs $(guix package -A | grep ^emacs- | cut -f1 | head -200)
[env]$ time emacs -nw -q -f kill-emacs

real    0m2.368s
user    0m2.037s
sys     0m0.309s

Well, I do not know if ’with-eval-after-load’ is enough for somehow
allowing lazy loading.  Hum, I am not convinced that the ’redisplay’ is
the issue but instead, yeah maybe walking all the files requires some
filesystem IO and yeah maybe one unique big concatenated autoload file
would improve the situation.

Do you use ’use-package’ or something similar for your config?

Cheers,
simon