Re: The live usb is stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!"

From: Paul Iannetta
Subject: Re: The live usb is stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!"
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 19:37:23 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Florian,

Thank you for your kind answer!

On Saturday, May 21, 2022, 04:50:20 PM GMT+2, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
<pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:

>On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 04:14:52PM +0000, Paul Iannetta via wrote:
>> I seem unable to make GRUB work and would like to know whether it is
>> possible to generate an image which would use extlinux/syslinux
>> instead.
>
>When creating an iso9660 image, Guix always uses grub-mkrescue to
build the image.

Yes, I was told the same when I asked in irc.  I think that should be
underlined in the manual because it is very confusing.  I was really wondering
what I was doing wrong.  In fact, I should have read the code directly.

>> […]
>> The last solution would be to overwrite my current distribution by
>> guix and replace the init system by sheperd.
>
>Yes, just `guix system reconfigure` from an existing distro.

I've been able to install archlinux which uses syslinux as its bootloader, I
plan to keep the base install of archlinux in a first time and guix for the
rest, and when I am be a bit more familiar with guix and can confidently
generate a syslinux based bootloader configuration I'll use `guix system
reconfigure` as you suggested.

I've tried other grub based live-usbs, and all fail at the same point whatever
the setup of GRUB so I think this is a GRUB bug (probably introduced fairly
recently because my previous bootloader was GRUB and it worked perfectly).

Regards,
Paul