Re: PySide2 not found when installing from PyPI

From: Matt
Subject: Re: PySide2 not found when installing from PyPI
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:03:21 -0400

 ---- On Wed, 25 May 2022 10:30:27 -0400 zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
wrote ----
 > > ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
 > > PySide2>=5.15 (from versions: none)
 > > ERROR: No matching distribution found for PySide2>=5.15
 >
 > Why do you specify in requirements.txt
 >
 >     PySide2==5.15.2.1

Are you quoting the requirements from my GitHub?  The requirements there do not
correspond to the output I've given here.  Sorry, but I have not pushed what
I'm working with because it is not working (i.e. the error we're talking
about). The requirements.txt I used  to produce the output here has
PySide2>=5.15.  The same is in is the setup.py (also "PySide2>=5.15").  I've
tried all == variations of 5.15, 5.15.2, and 5.15.2.1 as well and get a similar
error, "No matching distribution for PySide2==5.15[.2[.1]]".  PyPI has releases
for each of these.

 > ?  When Guix provides 5.15.2.
 >
 > > Looking at PyPI, wheels definitely exist.  I'm also able to install
 > > and run it no problem from PyPI on Debian.  When I try installing from
 > > PyPI on Guix through a venv, the package installs (but fails on
 > > ImportError: libgthread-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
 > > such file or directory.  That's beside the point, though, PySide2
 > > installs.).
 >
 > How is this PySide2 installed?  From Guix or from PyPI?

On my Guix System machine, everything is installed through Guix.

ahab@pequod ~$ guix package -l | grep python-pyside-2
  python-pyside-2       5.15.2                  out
/gnu/store/yh5rdz0vsjy61qil8s4f8m5mz4jmg1kp-python-pyside-2-5.15.2

That's my reason for saying Guix provides 5.15.2.

On the Guix System machine, if I create a Python venv and try to install
PySide2 within that, it installs, but throws the libgthread error when I try to
run the application.

 > > I'm also confused because it says
 > >
 > > file t_rex_typer.py (for module t_rex_typer) not found
 > >
 > > The file is definitely in there and, as I said, it runs on Debian, so must
 > > be packaged correctly in terms of the Python imports etc.
 >
 > I do not know.  I have not checked your files but I guess something is
 > misconfigured in setup.py or alike.  Then installing using pip on Debian
 > works because pip works with “half” package ;-) Contrary to Guix which
 > often points more issues.

That's good to know!  I'll revisit the Python documentation and confirm I don't
have "half" a package.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this with me!