Re: /gnu/store

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: /gnu/store
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 13:10:25 +0200

Hello Gottfried,

are you using Guix System or Guix on a foreign distro?

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> Hi Guixers,
> After guix pull und guix update I have a new Emacs Version, Emacs 28
>
> 1. My earlier created icon for emacs, in Mate Desktop, opens the older
> Version Emacs 27.2
> How to fix it?

have you tried logging out and in?

> 2. Opening /gnu/store/ in Mate Caja (File Manager) takes ages.

AFAIK it takes ages in every file manager

you'd better use "find" (man find) from your terminal if you want to
find a package in /gnu/store, see below

> To look for a the Emacs 28.1 file takes also ages.

What is "the Emacs 28.1 file"?

> Is there a quicker way to search for some directories in /gun/store?
> May be in the terminal emulator? With which commands?

yes: use the CLI in a terminal

to have the (too long) directory listing: "ls -lah /gnu/store"

to serach for every first level only directory having "emacs" in its
name under /gnu/store: "find /gnu/store -maxdepth 1 -type d -name '*emacs*'"

then you can inspect the store for each installed package,
e.g. "/gnu/store/r1zd92x4bh8zfz16rj9gh66pr950x2zr-emacs-guix-0.5.2-5.c9aef52"
with ls or Caja if you want

> I want to change the command for opening emacs in the starter,now
> version 27.2 change into emacs 28. So that the emacs icon in the toolbar
> opens Emacs 28. Or is the simplest way deleting the icon and after every
> new emacs version creating a new icon?

You cannot change the .desktop files used to start applications
installed via Guix since they are stored read-only in the store

It's "just" a matter to refresh your graphical menu an usually we need
to logout and login (at least on a foreign distro)

> If I do a "emacs -ProfileManager" it opens the emacs 28

AFAIU you are starting emacs from a terminal, and yes: it starts emacs
28 because it does not use the *.desktop file used by the graphical menu
(which have the 27.2 version hardcoded in it)

> but does not  give me a possibility to set a new Profile.

AFAIK "ProfileManager" is not a valid emacs option :-)

> 3. Can somebody explain to me the structure of /gnu/store?

Please read the Guix manual at "8.9 The Store"

AFAIK the store is set read-only **but** in any case /do not/ directly
write to the store, it is accessed by the guix-daemon via the various
"guix..." command

use the guix cli (or the great emacs-guix interface [1]) to explore your
packages (et al)

[...]

> The date is allways the same,

it's a reproducibility requirement: our software is /eternal/ B-)

[...]

> thanks in advance
> I am "hacking" at the basics
> Gottfried

Happy hacking! Gio'

[1] I had to apply a workaround to make it working
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55013#2

[...]

--
Giovanni Biscuolo