Re: Setting up a geiser development environment

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: Setting up a geiser development environment
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 03:16:55 +0000

Hi,

Einar Largenius <jaadu@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I am trying to learn using guix and I think having access to a usable
> repl would be helpful.
>
> I have installed geiser to use with guix. I use the ELPA version of
> geiser. I installed guix on a foreign distro with the installation
> script found on the website.
>
> What do I need to do to make guix symbols available for use with a REPL?
>
> For example, I open a scheme file in Emacs and start geiser, but when I
> evaluate for example:
>
> (specifications->manifest
>  (list "guile"))
>
> It says specifications->manifest is unbound.

You need to have guix in the %load-path variable, then load the module
containing `specifications->manifest`. The easiest way is to just run

    guix repl

from a terminal (or shell in emacs) to get a repl.

Or if you want to use geiser you can use guix shell to setup the right
environment and launch emacs

    guix shell guix guile --emacs

Once you got the correct load path setup you can just import the module
containing `specifications->manifest` in the repl.

    (use-modules (gnu packages))

To find which module that contain that procedure, you can search for it
in the guix manual and it will say just above it what module it
contains.

Alternative you can clone the guix repo and call something like
consult-ripgrep in emacs on it with the search term
#specifications->manifest#define

The guix manual will also describe how to setup emacs for hacking on
guix [0] that might be useful.

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/The-Perfect-Setup.html

I hope that helps.

--