Re: non-input dependencies Was: guile-dbi from guix not working

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: non-input dependencies Was: guile-dbi from guix not working
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 12:01:56 +0530

> IMHO as a first step we should just add this information to the package
> descriptions. Simple, backwards compatible, doesn't restrict us, etc.
> Eg.: for emacs-geiser, just add a line that says: "To use it with a
> given Scheme dialect, install emacs-geiser-<scheme-dialect> in the
> same environment."
> Bam, no more confusion over why a package isn't doing anything.

I agree with this fix. And, it seemed very easy. So, I started working
on it. But, when I try to change the guile-dbi package description,
`guix lint' complains that since guile-dbi is a GNU package, we should
prefer to keep the upstream description. Now, it seems like we should
change the upstream guile-dbi description to change the Guix package
description. Feels a little bureaucratic to me.