Re: The service trying to install Guix SD - grub-install fails

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: The service trying to install Guix SD - grub-install fails
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 13:57:02 +0200

Hello David.  All looks good.

On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 05:11:45PM +0000, David Lecompte wrote:
> shepherd: Service term-console could not be started.
> To complete update, run "herd restart SERVICE" to stop, update and
> restart all services that were not restarted automatically.
> Run "herd status" to see the list of services of your system.

You probably don’t care about term-console, so you can ignore this
message.

> (first line is in English, other lines are in French like my system, so
> I translated to English by myself, might not be exactly what one gets
> directly in English).
>
> When I run "herd status" or "herd restart term-console", I see:
> error: connect: /run/user/1000/shepherd/socket: No file or folder of
> this type
>
> (again, I am translating from French).

Sorry for the late reply.  This “herd status” would need to be run as
root (e.g. with sudo like “sudo guix system …”).  The reason is that
shepherd can manage both daemons of the system and daemons of the user
(see Guix Home in the manual; for example, the home-mcron service).
When you run “herd status” without sudo, it thinks you want the status
of the shepherd user daemons, but you have not setup shepherd to run
user daemons.

> Is there anything else that needs to be fixed?
>
> Thanks,
> David.

No, your system is set up fine.

Regards,