Re: Guix home package confusion

From: Tangonov
Subject: Re: Guix home package confusion
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:38:35 -0700

With some more proper reading around I managed to find this thread from May:

https://www.mail-archive.com/help-guix@gnu.org/msg13655.html

The end of the conversation answered many of my questions. I think I know how I want to proceed from here.

Thanks for taking the time if you made it this far :)

Tangonov <tn@eml.cc> writes:

Thanks for the reply. I of course felt the need to keep trying after I messaged you. Call it determination (or impatience). I had manged to do such a good job of addressing my own questions that I ended up
breaking my home environment.

In the end, I ended up logging in as root, deleting my profile
symlinks for my user and garbage collecting my user state.

From there I was able to install my manifest from scratch using guix
home.

I am still pretty confused about the relationship between guix
package, guix home and how they interact with packages. It seems like I can install many packages by invoking guix install, and then one system home reconfigure would undo my links to those packages if they aren't included in the home configuration. So it seems like I should maintain my package manifest should my interests in which packages to
keep or discard should change above and beyond a base system.

What's more confusing is after I installed from a clean slate, my
pinentry broke for gpg. It was fixed by invoking guix install
pinentry, which required no download or build for pinentry. It seems like the de-duplication worked in that case, but I now have (again) two divergent records of which packages I should, or should not have.

It feels like I am swinging at a nail with my thumb in the path of the
hammer.

What exactly is the intended use of guix home?

I am happy to provide my configurations, though, they have evolved
since my initial message.
Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

[[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]