Re: Guix home user-level shepherd services

From: Tangonov
Subject: Re: Guix home user-level shepherd services
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 16:28:11 -0700

Oh! I almost forgot, the error messages from =guix home container=. It's worth mentioning that these are /user packages/. They're not installed on the root level.

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
Starting services...
Comparing /gnu/store/non-existing-generation/profile/share/fonts and /gnu/store/c04qxlqgawnbb0k08acwdd6sk2kjc1i2-home/profile/share/fonts... done (same)
Evaluating on-change gexps.

On-change gexps evaluation finished.

sh: line 1: syncthing: command not found
Service syncthing could not be started.
sh: line 1: pantalaimon: command not found
Service pantalaimon could not be started.
#+END_QUOTE

Tangonov <tn@eml.cc> writes:

Hello Guix! I don't seem to be able to start Shepherd services from my guix home config. The services fail to start, despite being startable from the command line from both reconfigure & container. Here's what my services look like:
(home-environment
 (packages
  (specifications->packages
   (append %base-packages
           %emacs
           %multimedia
           %browsers
           %chat-clients
           %devel)))
 (services
  (list ; ... bash services
        (service home-shepherd-service-type
                 (home-shepherd-configuration
                  (services (list
                             (shepherd-service
                              (provision '(syncthing))
(start #~(make-system-constructor "syncthing"))
                              (stop #~(make-kill-destructor))
                              (documentation
"Synchronize folders to other device"))
                             (shepherd-service
                              (provision '(pantalaimon))
(start #~(make-system-constructor "pantalaimon"))
                              (stop #~(make-kill-destructor))
                              (documentation
"Crypto back-end server for ement.el")))))))))

Thanks again for the help & software