Re: Guix home user-level shepherd services

From: Tangonov
Subject: Re: Guix home user-level shepherd services
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 18:09:17 -0700

Ok, it seems as though I had some bash configuration issues. My "$(inline commands)" made things unhappy for some reason.

I resolved them, and shepherd started working...except that herd was totally bound up and not responsive. I had to kill it to reconfigure.

I assumed this is because the services were holding stuff up...so I tried a forked config:

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(service home-shepherd-service-type
                (home-shepherd-configuration
                 (services (list
                            (shepherd-service
                             (provision '(syncthing))
                             (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
                                       "syncthing" #:user #:t))
                             (stop #~(make-kill-destructor))
                             (documentation
"Synchronize folders to other device"))
                            (shepherd-service
                             (provision '(pantalaimon))
                             (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
                                       "pantalaimon" #:user #:t))
                             (stop #~(make-kill-destructor))
                             (documentation
"Crypto back-end server for ement.el"))))))
#+END_SRC

The forked service does not seem to work :/

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
λ herd start pantalaimon
herd: exception caught while executing 'start' on service 'pantalaimon': Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern" "pantalaimon")'.
#+END_QUOTE

Tangonov <tn@eml.cc> writes:

Oh! I almost forgot, the error messages from guix home container. It's worth mentioning that these are user packages. They're not installed on the root level. Starting services… Comparing /gnu/store/non-existing-generation/profile/share/fonts and /gnu/store/c04qxlqgawnbb0k08acwdd6sk2kjc1i2-home/profile/share/fonts… done (same) Evaluating on-change gexps. On-change gexps evaluation finished. sh: line 1: syncthing: command not found Service syncthing could not be started. sh: line 1: pantalaimon: command not found Service pantalaimon could not be started. Tangonov <tn@eml.cc> writes: Hello Guix! I don't seem to be able to start Shepherd services from my guix home config. The services fail to start, despite being startable from the command line from both reconfigure & container. Here's what my services look like: (home-environment (packages (specifications->packages (append %base-packages %emacs %multimedia %browsers %chat-clients %devel))) (services (list ; … bash services (service home-shepherd-service-type (home-shepherd-configuration (services (list (shepherd-service (provision '(syncthing)) (start #~(make-system-constructor "syncthing")) (stop #~(make-kill-destructor)) (documentation "Synchronize folders to other device")) (shepherd-service (provision '(pantalaimon)) (start #~(make-system-constructor "pantalaimon")) (stop #~(make-kill-destructor)) (documentation "Crypto back-end server for ement.el"))))))))) Thanks again for the help & software