Re: Launching sway from sddm

From: (
Subject: Re: Launching sway from sddm
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 18:03:03 +0100

On Fri Jun 24, 2022 at 5:21 PM BST, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> - Is Xorg launched by SDDM? does it does it because sway fails?

I thought SDDM Wayland support didn't exist yet, but apparently I'm
wrong.

> - Where is XDG_RUNTIME_DIR supposed to be set?

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is set by either elogind or greetd (which requires Rust)
iirc. You can also set it yourself in .profile or something:

--- .profile
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/run/user/$(id -u)"
---

> And in general does someone has pointers on which direction to try to
> look to debug that issue (to be able to get it fixed at some point)?

Two things you might want to know:

(1) SDDM does not support seatd, only elogind:

--- /home/paren/code/guix/gnu/packages/display-managers.scm
(define-public sddm
  (package
    (inputs
     (list elogind #| if both were supported, it would use libseat, not
                      elogind |#))
---

(2) Sway does not officially support DMs, though GDM and greetd seem to
    work well, and Tobias (nckx) was using sway with SDDM if I remember
    correctly:

--- https://github.com/swaywm/sway/blob/master/README.md
Run sway from a TTY. Some display managers may work but are not
supported by sway (gdm is known to work fairly well).
---

    -- (