Re: package exists but not showing

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: package exists but not showing
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 10:36:25 +0200

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, I am running the latest mainline guix on top of Fedora.  After doing
>
> guix pull && guix package -u
>
> I run into this situation:
>
> $ hash guix
> $ which firefox
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/firefox
> $ guix show firefox
> guix show: error: firefox: package not found
> $ guix package --list-installed|grep firefox
> firefox                 100.0.2                 out
> /gnu/store/wmlyxw4jx2d75cwn2hv5g99b61jwpinz-firefox-100.0.2
> $
>
> I wonder if this is a valid state for guix?

It is a valid state.  You could for example do this:

  guix time-machine -C channels-with-firefox -- install firefox

That would install firefox into your profile, but when you then do “guix
show firefox” it would print an error, because *this* Guix doesn’t know
anything about the “firefox” package.

What is installed is separate from what Guix knows about.  All this
tells you is that the package you installed was provided by a different
version of Guix (with possibly different channels) than the version of
Guix you are using to run “guix show”.

--
Ricardo