Re: Guix home, guix system, channels, some noob questions

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Guix home, guix system, channels, some noob questions
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 07:06:24 +0100

Daniel Meißner <daniel.meissner-i4k@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> Hi Sébastien,
>
> Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq writes:
>
>> Thanks,  in fact when i see *guix home* that was my first intention
>> (like home-manager in nix).
>>
>> The only things holding me back at the moment is two things :
>>
>> a) doom emacs flavour, how to manage the fact that doom use straigt.el
>> to maintain packages

I actually use doom emacs on guix system.  I have not yet migrated to
guix home just yet.  I had an issue with doom emacs NOT having debbugs
installed.  This worked for me:

$ guix install emacs-debbugs

Then I opened up: .doom.d/config.el
(require 'debbugs-autoloads)

$ doom sync

Now I can use doom emacs and debbugs!

Maybe you can add other emacs packages to doom that way.

>> b) "password / secrets" management ?
>>
>> There are two things, file to directly encrypt (like ssh key) and
>> password to hide into configuration file (templating)
>>
>> b.1) So, that need to encrypt/decrypt more or less "on-the-fly" the
>> files using gpg/yubikey or age like yadm (
>> https://yadm.io/docs/encryption ) or chezmoi
>> (https://www.chezmoi.io/user-guide/encryption/gpg/) do ?
>>
>> b.2) And for templating, like replacing ${mypassword} into some
>> configuration file by getting info stored into password manager like
>> "pass", i also don't know how to do that.

This is probably heresy...but I use an ~/.authinfo file.  It's a plain
text file.  I have never been able to figure out how to use a
~/.authinfo.gpg.  Or rather I did figure out how to use it...Then lost
my gpg key, and then lost all of my passwords.  So now I have an
.authinfo file, and I have a private git repo of my /home/joshua of
various files.  It's probably a poor way of doing it, but it's how I do it.

Hope that helps,

--

Joshua Branson
https://gnucode.me