Re: Finding Dependencies at Run Time

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Finding Dependencies at Run Time
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 14:51:18 -0400

Your explanations are very helpful, thank you, and your links made me realize that devel version of the manual has lots of information that I could not find in the stable version of the manual.

During the build, search-paths and native-search-paths are used to set up environment variables. If you use --keep-failed and interrupt a build you'l find them in /tmp/guix-build-…/environment-variables.

So search-paths and native-search-paths are set before the build and unset after the build so they are unavailable during run-time? Or are native-search-paths only available at build-time and search-paths available at both build-time and run-time?

Are the search-paths and native-search-paths absolute path values found by automatically searching the directories in all of the inputs or native inputs, looking for files or directories that match a pattern? So they are a way to map relative paths into absolute paths to the dependency packages?

For others, the required search paths can be embedded in a wrapper, which defines environment variables before calling the actual program.

So if a package needs run-time environment variables, then a package should use wrap-program to attach them to a command? These are not found automatically by searching the inputs, they must be manually defined using explicit input paths?

For propagation, dependencies are found in the environment. It's less "pure" than the other ways, so we try to avoid resorting to that. Unfortunately some programming languages don't really leave us a choice (like python…).

So python packages are not using an environment variable, such as PYTHONPATH, to find dependencies? How are they placed together into an environment so they can find each other?