Re: Finding Dependencies at Run Time

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Finding Dependencies at Run Time
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 15:27:52 +0200

Hi,

(I am an avid Emacs user but to be honest I barely use Info manuals.  Even
after many attempts to use them, I find the Info interface
counter-intuitive.  Initially, I thought it was because I do not have
the habits and I forced myself to exclusively use it.  The conclusions
are:

 1. it is easier for me to open
        https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html
 even sometimes eww (which is a bit slow, BTW) and just directly
 search.  It is also really easy to reach the index.

 2. aside the case where I exactly know beforehand what I am looking
 for, I do not use the index.  Instead, I use:

  a) directly query a keyword, say C-f with Chromium or else
  b) query with a search engine

end of the parenthesis. :-))

On Thu, 14 Jul 2022 at 13:28, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> The convenience of using the Info document is that it is installed with
> “guix pull”, so it will always match your current version of Guix.  The
> Info document is also more accessible than the HTML version because of
> the manually curated index (hit “i” in your Info reader and type away to
> get to a topic more quickly).

Why not also distribute the HTML manual along with the Info one?  For
instance, on Debian,

        $ find /usr/share/doc/ -type f -name "*.html" | wc -l
        681

and I do not remember installing some *-doc packages.

For instance, why not just have

    ~/.config/guix/current/share/doc/guix/manual.html

at first, then populate this /doc/guix folder with all the fancy things
used for the online rendering.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon