Old packages in GUIX under Debian stable

From: Alexander Asteroth
Subject: Old packages in GUIX under Debian stable
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 09:19:27 +0200

Dear all,

I'm currently playing around with GUIX on a current Debian stable (11.4) release. More precisely I'm trying to substitute the "GUIX-System"-part of GUIX by Debian and install (nearly) all other packages using GUIX.

At first this worked perfectly fine but suddenly after a guix pull, guix is presenting me with really old software

e.g. (all other softwares seem to be as old as well):

name: icecat
version: 78.4.0-guix0-preview1

I verified that the version of the guix binary is from my current profile, the environment variables are freshly set from current profile as well.

Any hint about what could have gone wrong here? I was suspecting the old kernel and libraries from Debian causing this but since it worked in the first place that cannot be the cause.

Cheers,
Alex