Re: Old packages in GUIX under Debian stable

From: Alexander Asteroth
Subject: Re: Old packages in GUIX under Debian stable
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:50:08 +0200

Hi Tobias,

On Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:04:21, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
>>$ type guix
>>guix is hashed ($HOME/.guix-profile/bin/guix)
>
> You ran 'guix install guix' or the equivalent.

Yes, I did that because the guix version installed by Debian at some
point started to refused to install anything because it was complaining
about wrong manifest all the time.

> The solution is simple:
>
> 1. Don't :-)  Update Guix only with 'guix pull'.
> 2. Run 'guix remove guix; hash guix' and verify that type now points to
> ~/.config/guix/current.

If did that now (guix remove guix) and guix now points to
/usr/local/bin/guix (as installed by the guix install script).

Still `guix search icecat` shows version 78 as current

```
$ guix describe
  guix a0178d3
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: a0178d34f582b50e9bdbb0403943129ae5b560ff
```

Now I ran a 'guix pull' anbd sourced the profile

```
$guix describe
Generation 3    Jul 28 2022 13:26:16    (current)
  guix bdb2e26
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: bdb2e262fcbea76de807cd829c2d2270661546a5
```

```
$type guix
guix is hashed ($HOME/.config/guix/current/bin/guix)
```
and now software seems to be recent. Finally.

One thing I noticed during this process is that the location of the
users profile seems to have changed at some point from .guix-profile to
.config/guix/current and that my shell init files referred to the wrong
location maybe that caused the issues in the first place?

Thanks a lot!

-- Alex