Re: Want to test Racket/Chez on powerpc64le?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Want to test Racket/Chez on powerpc64le?
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 00:02:20 +0300

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 03:46:21PM -0400, Philip McGrath wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a patch series at https://gitlab.com/philip1/guix-patches/-/tree/zuo
> for the Racket 8.5.900 release candidate for the imminent Racket 8.6
> release.[1] The patch series also enables Racket CS and the
> 'chez-scheme-for-racket' package on systems they haven't supported until now,
> such as powerpc64le-linux—at least, I think it does: I'm hoping some of you
> can test it. The riscv64-linux, mips64el-linux, and i586-gnu are similarly
> situated: I ask particularly about powerpc64le-linux because Matthew Flatt
> has tested it upstream (thanks to the GCC Compile Farm).
>
> If you just want to help quickly, try this:
>
> guix time-machine --url=https://gitlab.com/philip1/guix-patches --branch=zuo
> --disable-authentication -- build chez-scheme-for-racket racket
>
> and let me know how it goes, either here or at [2]. Allow about an hour for
> the build. (So, not *that* quickly …)
>
> Some more background about what's new:
>
> The systems I listed above are ones for which Racket's variant of Chez Scheme
> doesn't (yet!) have backends to generate machine code. With these changes,
> they instead can now use "pbarch" backends added to Racket's variant of Chez
> Scheme: a "portable bytecode" mode specialized to word size and endianness,
> with core bytecode additionally compiled to C.
>
> I've cross-compiled 'chez-scheme-for-racket' and 'racket-vm-cs' successfully
> for the Linux-based systems. (There's still a problem with i586-pc-gnu,
> probably some missing/different C flag.) Unfortunately, I ran into a QEMU
> error [3] when I tried an emulated build, possibly related to Racket BC's use
> of SIGSEGV to implement the GC write barrier, and I don't have access to any
> of the relevant hardware myself. So, I'm hoping people who do might be able
> to give it a try!
>
> Thanks,
> Philip
>
> [1]: https://racket.discourse.group/t/racket-v8-6-release-thread/1091
> [2]:
> https://racket.discourse.group/t/chez-for-architectures-without-native-backends/950
> [3]:
> https://racket.discourse.group/t/chez-for-architectures-without-native-backends/950/13

In general I should be able to help with the riscv64-linux for testing.
Unfortunately I'm working remotely for the next few weeks and a power
outage at home brought down my machines, so I won't be able to for a
while yet.

For mips64el, Guix used the Loongson2F as a build machine and target
while Debian targets the Loongson3A. I do have one of the retired Lemote
machines we used, but I haven't had it powered up for a few years and
isn't currently prepared for building packages.