Re: substitute for Skype

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Re: substitute for Skype
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 07:48:35 +0000

Le lundi 01 août 2022 à 15:26 +0000, Gottfried a écrit :

> Jitsi Meet isn't in guix. But Jami is there.

Jitsi is for voice / video calls / screen sharing, it requires running
a server on one machine but particpants just need a web browser (major
web browser work).

I use a cheap VPS to run a Jitsi server instance. Jisti is packaged for
Debian, it is easy to install an instance without any customization
(see
https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/devops-guide/devops-guide-quickstart).
There is no maintenance to do besides occasional software
upgrades.

This is what I use with a small group of non-technical people within
small distance (5 people usually, some within 700 km range sometimes)
on a regular basis and we rarely have problems (the most frequent
problem is permission issues to access the microphone/camera).

I have tried it once with 12 people, it was more difficult, but I was
using the cheapest VPS possible.

You can try it using public instances without installing one yourself,
for instance using https://framatalk.org/abc/en/ (I guess you are in
Europe, these are European servers).

Of course, it may depend how busy the server is.

For voice only, for a small group, Mumble is a pretty reliable solution
too (it also needs running a server, I never did but I assume it is at
least as easy as Jitsi).

David.