Re: substitute for Skype

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: substitute for Skype
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:15:52 -0400

Hi Luis,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi Gottfried,
>
> On Monday, August 1st, 2022 at 15:47, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Has somebody got experience with Jami or Mumble?
>
> I've used Jami until recently. As other people already mentioned, installing
> the "jami" package should be enough.
>
> I only used it to converse with one person at a time, not group
> [audio|video]chats. When it worked, it was enjoyable. Unfortunately, most of
> the time it didn't.
>
> I tried it for several months at different times, checking if upgrades
> would improve the experience, but the experience wasn't good enough to
> grow a list of contacts that included people from mainstream culture
> (people used to WhatsApp and proprietary software in general). The few
> contacts I had (~5) eventually stopped using the application because
> of its constant malfunctioning. Some contacts left making harsh
> comments about it.
>
> Most noticeable problems:
>
> • Missing messages
> • Sharing images, voice messages and files seldom worked

Sadly, I can relate.  Luckily there is some hope.  The new swarm
mechanism for syncing conversations via libgit is maturing and promises
to avoid the loss of messages when delivery can't happen in real time
(such as when the remote participant is offline).  I think the latest
release we have packaged already implements it in 1:1 conversations.

Mobile clients may have other issues (the need to use push notifications
or a gateway server to the distributed network to avoid wasting the tiny
battery in a few hours introduces its own share of complications -- and
bugs).

Thanks for having shared your experience!

Maxim