Re: "user with UID not found" error

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: "user with UID not found" error
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 20:17:50 +0200

Hi Chris,

>>> Or do you recommend a different way to run NSCD and SSSD at the same time
>>> on RHEL/CentOS systems?
>>
>> You only need to start it. We don't use it as a cache. We are only
>> interested in its network interface for use with glibc.
[…]
> We turned off all NSCD caching:
>
>  % grep enable-cache /etc/nscd.conf
> #       enable-cache          <service> <yes|no>
>       enable-cache            passwd          no
>       enable-cache            group           no
>       enable-cache            hosts           no
>       enable-cache            services        no
>       enable-cache            netgroup        no

Sorry, it appears that I was wrong about the role of caching.  Our
cluster nodes (running CentOS) have this nscd config:

enable-cache passwd yes
enable-cache group yes
enable-cache hosts no
enable-cache netgroup no

So while we don’t rely on caching per se, nscd needs to be configured to
cache passwd and group so that it actually fetches this type of
information from the system directories (e.g. LDAP).

Sorry for the confusion!

--
Ricardo