Re: Exporting patches without prerequisite patch id

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Exporting patches without prerequisite patch id
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 20:22:02 -0400

kiasoc5 writes:

> I have some commits on my local guix repo like this:
>
> (master) HEAD -> A -> B -> C
>
> When I do `git format-patch -3 --base=auto` I get prerequisite patch
> ids in some of the patches. But I want to each patch to depend only on
> HEAD. In other words I want to export patches like so:
>
> HEAD -> A
> HEAD -> B
> HEAD -> C
>
> How do I do this?

`git-format-patch --base` doesn't support lying about the state by
leaving out the prerequisite patch IDs, as far as I know.  If you have a
string of commits that you want to post as single patches where only
base-commit is listed, the approach would be to split each of those off
into separate, independent branches on top of the base commit.

            /
    base ----- b
            \