Re: Garbage Collector

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Garbage Collector
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 22:18:49 +0200

Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org> skribis:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 2:52 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>>
>> The manual says that it is dangerous to use: "guix gc"
>> because it can delete too much.
>
> I agree that 'guix gc' deletes too much, but it's probably not
> dangerous. You will just see some downloads and builds repeated when
> reconfiguring later.

Indeed, it’s not dangerous, and I don’t think the manual suggests that.

To avoid collecting things just to redownload/rebuild them later, I
usually ask ‘guix gc’ to free up some amount of space, as in:

  guix gc -F20G

That ensures 20G (more or less) are available on my disk and doesn’t try
to collect more than that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.