Re: uninstall/unmanage guix home on my foreign system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: uninstall/unmanage guix home on my foreign system
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 22:25:47 +0200

Hi jgart,

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> skribis:

> How can I "uninstall" guix home or have it not manage my dotfiles or a
> particular subset of dotfiles that I no longer want managed?

Good question; I don’t think there’s an easy way to escape, it’s a bit
of a trap.  :-)

What I would do is something like this (untested):

  1. Make sure packages you need are installed on the system or in
     ~/.guix-profile, by running, say:

       guix package --export-manifest -p ~/.guix-home/profile/manifest > \
         ~/my-manifest.scm

       guix package -m ~/my-manifest.scm

   2. Restore dot files that were managed by Guix Home, for example by
      copying your original dot files from a backup such as the one
      created by ‘guix home reconfigure’:

        for i in .bashrc .bash_profile # add others here
        do
          rm "$HOME/$i"
          cp -v "$HOME/guix-home-backup-whatever-its-called/$i" "$HOME"
        fi

   3. Remove your home profile:

       rm -v ~/.guix-home /var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER/guix-home*

IWBN to have a ‘guix home’ subcommand to do that automatically.

HTH!

Ludo’.