GIO_EXTRA_MODULES breaking foreign-distro programs

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: GIO_EXTRA_MODULES breaking foreign-distro programs
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 17:27:27 -0400

Hi,

I've encountered an issue with GIO_EXTRA_MODULES from my Guix profile
preventing binaries from my foreign distro (Kubuntu 22.04) from running.

The initial symptom was that running e.g. `/usr/bin/flatpak list` would
terminate with the error:

> /usr/bin/flatpak: symbol lookup error:
> /gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33/lib/libpthread.so.0:
> undefined symbol: __libc_pthread_init, version GLIBC_PRIVATE

I've attached the output of running it with LD_DEBUG=libs, which seems to show
that the it first fell into Guix's libraries via /home/philip/.guix-home/
profile/lib/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so. I confirmed that `unset
GIO_EXTRA_MODULES` fixes the problem.

I plan to track down whatever package added GIO_EXTRA_MODULES to my profile and
remove it for now, but that seems like a pretty drastic workaround. Is this a
known issue? Is there a better way to deal with it, either from my side or
within Guix?

-Philip