Re: More HP AIO scanning woes

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: More HP AIO scanning woes
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 12:28:24 +0000

Hi T G-R,

after Your advice to check the hp-programms:

hp-align               hp-info                hp-scan
hp-check               hp-levels              hp-sendfax
hp-clean               hp-linefeedcal         hp-setup
hp-colorcal            hp-logcapture          hp-systray
hp-config_usb_printer  hp-makecopies          hp-testpage
hp-devicesettings      hp-makeuri             hp-timedate
hp-diagnose_plugin     hp-pkservice           hp-toolbox
hp-diagnose_queues     hp-pqdiag              hp-uiscan
hp-doctor              hp-print               hp-uninstall
hp-fab                 hp-printsettings       hp-unload
hp-faxsetup            hp-probe               hp-upgrade
hp-firmware            hp-query               hp-wificonfig

We are a step further:

In the program menu there appeared an icon: "HP Device Manager",
but klicking on it doesn't do anything.
So at least there is an icon.

if I do a

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-diagnose_plugin

it says:

Driver Plug-in Installation is required
HP Device requires proprietary plug-in which is missing. Click "next" to continue plug-in installation

if I press next it says:

sh: line 1: python: command not found
error: Failed to install Plug-in.
Either you have chosen to skip the Plug-in installation or entered incorrect Password.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ sudo hp-logcapture
Passwort:
error: Failed to take back cups file=/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py", line 89, in get_distro_name
    os_name = platform.dist()[0]
AttributeError: module 'platform' has no attribute 'dist'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/bin/../share/hplip/logcapture.py", line 268, in <module>
    if not is_journal():
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/bin/../share/hplip/logcapture.py", line 52, in is_journal
    core =  CoreInstall(MODE_INSTALLER, INTERACTIVE_MODE)
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 241, in __init__
    self.passwordObj = password.Password(ui_mode)
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py", line 122, in __init__
    self.__readAuthType()  # self.__authType
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py", line 145, in __readAuthType
    distro_name = get_distro_name().lower().replace(" ","")
File "/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py", line 91, in get_distro_name
    import distro
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distro'

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-probe

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.10)
Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Using connection type: usb

--------------------
| DEVICE DISCOVERY |
--------------------

warning: No devices found on the 'usb' bus. If this isn't the result you are expecting, warning: check to make sure your devices are properly connected and powered on.

Done.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-scan

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.10)
Scan Utility ver. 2.2

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Even though the printer is installed and I can print,
it says again and again that there is no printer and the bus / usb is not connected.

If somebody wants to deal with it and takes time for it,
than I appreciate this.

Gottfried