Re: Gnome Tracker (tracker-miner-fs-3) behaving badly

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: Gnome Tracker (tracker-miner-fs-3) behaving badly
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 11:56:48 +1000

Ben Sturmfels

Sturm Software Engineering
www.sturm.com.au
+61 3 9024 2467

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Tracker logging every file it sees wouldn't be a good idea: apart from the
> wasted space, you'd be adding even more I/O load to the mix...
>
> Try stracing (guix install strace) tracker's PID(s) instead.  It will
> generate more output than you need, but file names should be obvious, and you
> can use grep to further filter the output.

Thanks Tobias, I'll give strace a shot. Regarding th logging - I'm not
entirely convinced that this would be a space/performance issue for most
use-cases, such as this personal/work laptop with email, code, photos
and media. I wouldn't expect to be generating new files or modifying
existing files at such a rate that the logging would create a problem,
and log rotation would take care of the wasted space eventually.

Regards,
Ben