Re: sbcl-slime-swank won't load

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: sbcl-slime-swank won't load
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:42:27 +0000

Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:

> I am perhaps misunderstanding how sbcl-slime-swank is meant to be used.
> I have installed it into my guix home environment. I have stumpwm
> installed on my system.
>
> If I try to (asdf:load-system :swank) from the stumpwm eval repl, I get
> a weird error that states "Don't know how to require SB-CLTL2".
>
> Weird! We must be failing to retrieve some dependency.
>
> I then went into Emacs and launched slime, and entered the following
> into the REPL:
>
> (require 'asdf)
> (asdf:load-system :swank)
>
> I get a bunch of tracebacks to a final message that seems to complain:
> Read only filesystem.
>
> I guess something in swank is trying to byte compile into the store itself.
>
> My other sbcl-stumpwm modules load and work.
>
> Any suggestions?

I can't reproduce the issue on my machine. There must be a difference in
our setups.

Are you on a Guix system, or on another distribution?
Are you using the stumpwm from the system profile, or from your user
profile (e.g. started by a ".xinitrc" file)?
Is sbcl installed in your user profile or not?
Do you have a ".sbclrc" file? If yes, what is in it?
Do you have Common Lisp libraries coming from outside of Guix (e.g.
Quicklisp)?