Re: sbcl-slime-swank won't load

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: sbcl-slime-swank won't load
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:49:55 +0000

Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:

> Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Is sbcl installed in your user profile or not?
>
> Not directly. It might be there as a dependency. Everything other than
> stumpwm itself is installed in my guix home profile.
>
> In order for any of my stumpwm-contrib modules to work, I had to write a
> gexp and an home-xdg-configuration-files service to link them to
> ~/.config/common-lisp.
>
> Currently this is how sbcl-slime-swank is put into
> source-registry.conf.d in my user profile.
>
> Here's the relevant code: https://paste.debian.net/1251005/

For the Common Lisp libraries to be found, the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables must contain the paths to the
profile where the libraries are installed.

Something like:
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/home/username/.guix-profile/etc:..."
XDG_DATA_DIRS="/home/username/.guix-profile/share:..."

These variables are set automatically when sbcl is installed in the
profile (they can be set by some other programs too).

If you don't want sbcl in the profile, one or both variables might not
contain the paths to the profile, and your guix-home config has to put
them in. I've never used guix-home yet, but I suppose
home-environment-variables-service-type can do that, and then creating
a custom ".config/common-lisp" directory should not be necessary.