Re: Packaging Idris2

From: Andreas Reuleaux
Subject: Re: Packaging Idris2
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 11:21:28 +0100

"(" <paren@disroot.org> writes:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 11:01 PM BST, Andreas Reuleaux wrote:
>>   You bootstrap it from scheme (chez or racket), as comes within the Idris2
>> tarball
>>   (and built with Idris 2 itself: Idris2 -> Chez Scheme / Racket).
>
> Since this Scheme is pregenerated, it cannot really count as source code. So
> we need to find a version of Idris2 that can still be built with Idris1, then
> try to build a later version with that Idris2, and keep going until we get to
> the latest version, like our rustc bootstrap process.
>
>     -- (

OK, thanks for getting back to me, and I am learning...

Nevertheless: this sounds terribly complicated to me.

Why would I use a package manager then (the guix package manager i.e.) in the
first place, if I can install idris2 in just simple three steps:

step 1
download https://www.idris-lang.org/idris2-src/idris2-0.5.1.tgz
and unpack it.

step 2
adjust PREFIX in config.mk therein ($(HOME)/opt/idris2 in my case)
and set PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly:

  export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/opt/idris2/bin
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/opt/idris2/lib

step 3
(assuming racket is installed - as in my case):

  make bootstrap-racket
  make install

And In particular: there is no Idris1 involved.

(And by the way: the pregenerated scheme in there is not a binary,
it is readable scheme code after all - well not terribly readable,
but nevertheless).

What is won with the extra step of having an older Idris2 installed
first, that still compiles with Idris 1 - And then do what with that:
compile a newer Idris2 from that (that may still not be sufficiant
to compile the latest Idris2), ... Reproducibility ? - Certainly
not simplicity!

But apparently: you are more experienced in these packaging matters
then me.

So thanks - in any case.

And by the way: my bench marks were on a 8 core
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
running Debian testing)

-A