Re: What Python IDE are you using?

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: What Python IDE are you using?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:57:09 +0200

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Tuesday, August 23rd, 2022 at 16:52, Luis Felipe
> <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi raingloom,
>>

>> On Tuesday, August 23rd, 2022 at 11:34, Csepp raingloom@riseup.net wrote:
>>

>> > kakoune + kak-lsp + python-lsp-server + python-black + mypy, maybe a
>> > kakoune editorconfig plugin too
>> >

>> > I load it in a guix shell and blamo, nice editor with pretty much every
>> > IDE functionality you could dream of.
>> >

>> > I've used this for multiple projects at uni, IMHO it works pretty well.
>>

>> Oh, I didn't know about kakoune. I'll put it on the list. Thanks, raingloom
>> :)
>
> I think I'm going to explore vim further as my fallback editor. It
> seems like that's the first step to understand kakoune (I couldn't get
> started with kakoune Get started! document :]).
>
> raingloom, did you move from vim to kakoune? If that was the case, did you
> found something annoying when programming Python in vim?
>
> [2. application/pgp-keys; publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com -
> 0x12DE1598.asc]...
>
> [[End of PGP Signed Part]]

I went through the vim tutorial a few years ago, tried neovim for a
while, but haven't used it in years.  I tend to switch between editors.
Before Kakoune I used Acme for a long time, which inspired some features
of Kakoune.  I also use Emacs quite a bit.
I tried Kakoune mostly because I really liked the ideas in Acme but
didn't like how anti-keyboard it was.  The simple orthogonal
configuration language and its focus on multiple selections were very
appealing too.  I don't like old editors with crusted up config
languages and UX conventions.  I could never really "git gud" at neovim,
so I abandoned it, but Kakoune just "clicked" after 1-2 afternoons of
noodling around in it.