Re: Enterprise Guix Hosting?

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Enterprise Guix Hosting?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 14:37:42 -0400

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022, Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:
> Yasuaki Kudo writes:

> However, I am interested in seeing Guix and Guix services
> gaining a foothold in the commercial space, and exchanging ideas

I see a lot of potential there:

  - Continuous integration
  - VM generation and deployment with OpenStack
  - Container generation and deployment with K8s
  - Root filesystem generation for embedded systems (e.g. Yocto, Elbe)

> as well as growing it in academia too.

As a student, here's how I have been using Guix on the academic side:

  - CI (cuirass) of developed tools
  - Reproducible workflow for my research
  - guix-shell + manifests for volatile laboratories environment
  - Automatic correction of student's work submission (similar to a CI)

In all, Guix is a very powerful/flexible tool when in good hands and
everyone in the field would gain from mass adoption of it.  I think it
has a bright future ahead.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev