Re: Kernel module build error with system image cross-build

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Kernel module build error with system image cross-build
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:50:07 +0200

Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> writes:
> pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de wrote:
>> HDMI stays black, but I can’t
>> find the cables for my UART adapter, so I cannot properly test.  I think
>
> Ah, so you tried, nice! I couldn't yet… Maybe this weekend.

Yes, although by now I noticed HDMI stays black for my Beaglebone Black
on the official Debian 8, 9, 10 images too.  But unlike your image, on
the official images the keyboard is powered so that I can reboot with
Ctrl+Alt+Del and that works because the BBB LEDs turn off and on again.
Also I can ping it.

(I am on the lookout for what to run my server on; I guess the dusty BBB
is out.  Back in the day Debian 8 worked and Debian 10 worked after
changing the .dtb file
<https://elinux.org/BeagleBoneBlack_Stock_Debian_from_External_HD>.)

>  do  feel a little  all over to  place, though. There's  these tem-
> plates, then  there's gnu/system/install.scm  (which also has  a rock64-
> installation-os definition) and also this  images place.

Images are more constrained in that they cannot be used for guix system
init.

>> But perhaps this still is the wrong kernel and you need an older
>> kernel, either as an old linux-libre-arm-generic-4.19 kernel or an old
>> kernel via a Guix inferior.

Using a custom u-boot-beaglebone-black-bootloader changed to use an
inferior of Guix commit 6b99afeef89233b71d113a63cf04a6b4b49a4679 for
u-boot did not boot either and only gets hot and cannot be pinged.  I
have not yet tried older u-boots or kernels.

> I think the interface into the kernel  data is lacking. It might be use-
> ful to have an interface to the kernel's ‘.config’, as well as meta data
> files such at the mentioned ‘modules.builtin’.
> […]
> Not sure if that sort of discussion isn't more appropriate for -devel.

If one of us finds a working beaglebone-black.tmpl or makes progress, or
has a proposal for kernel code/docs, then it certainly belongs in guix-devel
or guix-patches.  Note that `info guix-cookbook` has more info on
building a custom kernel; maybe it is reasonably recent.

Regards,
Florian